Monday, May 12, 2014

Reflection: Skyscraper Notes

Sometimes modifying a lesson plan is the best way to go.  I was recently inspired by a lesson plan I found on the Crayola site.  While the content was different, it captured the strategies I wanted my students to employ with a nice looking product at the end.  This may have been one of those wherein the product was a bit more impressive online, but my students were up to the task despite its many steps.

We began with a reading wherein we were searching for key information.  Students used a graphic organizer (see images below) and collected key information from each of the paragraph readings on skyscrapers.  This worked very well.

Graphic Organizer A

Graphic Organizer B
From the graphic organizer, the process became a little more graphical.  The key point from the paragraph was written on the skyscraper while the supporting details became the skyscrapers foundations.

Project A

Project B
While the project took on a bit more of an artistic characteristic, I think the finished products reveal (if only slightly) the concept of supporting details through the metaphor of structure foundations.

Reflections for future use:

  • I would definitely stress neatness.  I think I slightly misjudged the artistic capabilities of some students.  I would combat this by having them type their supporting details and print these details off to ensure legibility.
  • While I originally budgeted a couple classes for this project, it ended on becoming a minimum of three.  The multifaceted nature of the project really increased its scope.
  • I think creating background templates would also ensure there would be enough space for the foundational phrases.
  • I would further try to shorten the assignment.  If a student missed a day, it became tricky to bring him/her up to speed.
Due to the length of the assignment, I feel students spent a great deal of time learning about the nature of tall structures.  This is definitely an assignment, however, wherein the process may have been more important than the final product.

Resources:
Process pictures


No comments:

Post a Comment