Thursday, May 1, 2014

Google Docs in French

I delivered a couple routine lessons on using jouer and faire with French vocabulary and I wanted to give my students a chance to practice using it and a way to let my students practice correctly at home.  Through a series of digital flashcards and Google Docs, I think I've come up with a pretty quick and easy way of generating some formative data which will enable me to see where misconceptions may lie and to generate materials to inform future lessons.

I began with presenting the verb conjugations and giving my students a chance to--with pen and paper--practice writing out these examples.  We then spent some time discussing when each verb would be used though the concepts still seemed pretty nebulous.  For homework, I gave them two pieces:

A series of digital flashcards.  The concepts could be reviewed on this site and the notes could also be seen.


Following the flashcards, students followed a link from our class webpage taking them to a short online quiz using Google Docs.


The beauty of the quiz was that the responses immediately fed into an online spreadsheet.


And this I love!  There are some many diagnostic elements to appreciate here.  The simplest piece is I can quickly see is that I can quickly identify the responses of all my students which can then inform my teaching.  From the example above, I can see 




No comments:

Post a Comment