Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Reflection: Mat Handball

A week previous to today's observed lesson I introduced a new game to my 5/6 class.  The response was negative.  I'm not sure whether it was that the game was new or if my students really didn't like the game.  Unswayed, I decided to give it another chance based on some observations I made of the first game:

  • teams should be smaller to allow for greater, on court play
  • periods should be shorter to allow for a faster on court turnover
  • only the goalie should be permitted within the crease area
  • body contact should be disallowed to minimize personal injury
  • schedule kept to ensure teams didn't become stacked
  • a brilliant team selection strategy was employed to ensure team fairness (though I don't think I shall ever truly achieve this)
The game's second iteration was a success.  For some reason, the energy level was higher and the engagement more intense.

To ensure greater success, there are some things I'd like to try for future games:
  • run two simultaneous games each playing a half court of the gym
  • trying new time lengths on the mat
  • introducing the real game of handball
Check out footage from today's action!



No comments:

Post a Comment