Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Reflection: Document Formatting


Today's observed lesson (the last in a series of four) was simply a technological enhancement to support support a previous lesson.  My class had recently constructed some I Am poems to incorporate into some art self portraits.  The I Am poem quickly and easily identifies with various characteristics of students and can be surprisingly deep.  The poem above is a sample, but my students' works were actually quite meaningful.  I had hoped they would start thinking about the steps they would have to take to ready their poems for print publication.  Due to the personal nature of these poems, they will not be published online.

The lesson was multi-faceted as (1) students were at various stages of completion and (2) they work through technical issues at different rates.  Because of these differences, the class felt a little chaotic as some were completing the text from the poem while others were completing the end stages of the process.  This is one of those unlikeable realities for which I always have to account.  Fortunately the 'free time' concept is a nice finishing reward!

The overall goal was to turn plain text into something unique.  Today's concepts were these:
  • setting margins
  • adding borders
  • adjusting fonts
  • adding watermarks
While I expected the different paces of my students, the printed poems revealed some areas I had to focus on for next class:
  • fine tuning of the watermarking process--some watermarks printed too faintly to be seen
  • teaching image size and resolution--because students used small images, there was evidence of gross pixelation
Other than the poor quality of the watermarks, I was pleased with the quality of the formatting shown by my students.  I shall look ahead with great interest to see their ideas incorporated into their final art works.  Check out a sample!


Summary: LA I Am poem > Computer formatting > Art self-portrait 

No comments:

Post a Comment